Friday, January 19, 2007

CALL Reflection #1

Overall, I really enjoyed this week's readings because they provided 1) a wonderful summary of the different perspectives in language learning and how they have evolved and 2) key conditions for the ideal language learning environment. I was a little surprised these CALL readings started with the core theories and methodologies of good teaching. I guess I expected them to focus solely on technological aspects; however, if you don't embrace good teaching principles, your computer "wizardry" will not lead to successful teaching or learning in the classroom. The 8 Optimal Environmental Conditions mentioned in the Egbert et. al. article support the communicative approach and can all be supported by technology. Furthermore, the Kern & Warschauer article did a great job comparing the different philosophies of learning through the lens of language education.

I was very happy to see the importance of metacognitive skills mentioned in both readings. I personally think this is very important in learning. It really makes a difference of how I teach my lessons and work with my students. I like the "computer-as-toolkit" model and how in computer networking, computers are "used as a vehicle for interactive human communication (Kern & Warschauer, 2000, Sociocognitive Approaches to CALL)." This concept allows the world, the target language, culture and social interactions in particular, to enter the classroom. If you embrace a social-constructivist view of learning than CALL is a powerful tool.

Besides bringing authentic social interactions and materials into the classroom (Kern & Warschauer, 2000), I also like how CALL allows us to teach our students a second language while exposing them to a medium that they will need to survive in that language. Furthermore, CALL allows students more time to plan and reflect their language use (Kern & Warschauer, 2000). I think this is really important with adolescent and adult learners who can often be inhibited by their fear of making mistakes or sounding stupid. I know I feel more capable in my second language when I writing versus when I'm speaking. Hopefully CALL will allow students to develop a lifetime interest in other languages and cultures and help them take more risks in language learning.

The readings provided a good foundation for CALL and helped place it in a familiar context with relation to some of my former studies (i.e. methodologies & learning theories). The Egbert et. al. reading also brought up a good question which I found interesting: "Which technologies are best for supporting the best methods of teaching and learning? (pg. 9)." Hopefully what I learn in this class will help me better answer this question.

6 comments:

John Steele said...

I was also pleasantly surprised that the readings started out with theory and methodology of teaching. Gives us a good base to start off the semester with.
John

Dan said...

Hello. I think that you'll find most of the "good" articles out there focus more on method than technology. That is the way it should always be. Technology, even with all its hype and flash, is simply a tool (in our case a tool for learning).

Of course, as we will discuss throughout the course, good tools can significantly change the way in which we work and live (think cars, phones, televisions, ect).

Was there anything with the readings that you disagreed with or think needs further explanation?

Dan

Eric said...

I too was glad that the articles focused on metacognition.

Your blog looks great!

Stefanie said...

Dan,
I really didn't find anything I disagreed with. However, in the Egbert et. al. article, it states the CALL environment doesn't fit into quantitative or qualitative research and that is should consider "the classroom as the interacting system that it is (pg. 11)." I guess I'm not quite sure why CALL should be looked at any differently than other methods. I think their recommendation sounds good but I think it applies to most educational research.

Stefanie

Victoria Wreden Sadeq said...

Stefanie,

I really like some of the websites you posted. I also think your blog looks great. It looks very professional and so organized.

Victoria

Stefanie said...

Thanks Victoria!